- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -- (5-pound) beef brisket
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 pound chopped onion (about 4 medium onions)
- 1/4 cup minced garlic (about 12 cloves)
- 750 milliliters bottle burgundy wine or 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 4 slices crustless rye bread, cubed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet until hot. Add meat and sear over high heat until lightly browned.
- Rub brisket with tomato paste and pepper.
- Place onions in a large roasting pan. Place meat, fat side up, on top of onions.
- Combine garlic, wine, thyme, rosemary, soy sauce and water. Whisk. Pour over brisket. Add bay leaf to pan.
- Cover and bake 2½ to 3 hours, basting often with pan juices. Uncover; add rye bread, if using, and bake 30 minutes, until brisket is fork tender.
Recipe courtesy of Max's On the Square, San Francisco