- 1 bunch green onions, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, cut into ½-inch discs
- 1 tablespoon (heaping) fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 whole cinnamon stick, broken into several pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 3 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile peppers, stems and seed removed
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- Juice of 4 limes (6 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 4 skin-on, bone-in chicken leg quarters or 1 (3-pound) chicken, cut into quarters
Recipe adapted by Chef Steve Petusevsky from a recipe from Smokey Joe's on Negril Beach.
- Place all ingredients except oil and chicken in a blender or food processor. With the processor running, slowly add a thin stream of oil until the mixture becomes thick. Save 1/2 cup of the marinade for drizzling over chicken during cooking.
- Place chicken and larger amount of marinade in a ziptop plastic bag and marinate at least 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the grill.
- Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Place chicken on the grill, searing the first side (about 3 to 5 minutes). Turn, drizzle with reserved marinade, and sear the other side. Move chicken to an area of indirect heat (such as the grate above the grill or off to the side) and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Use a grill pan on the stovetop if preferred.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: