- 3 medium beets, scrubbed and trimmed
- 1/4 cup dark raisins
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar, boiling
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons diced roasted beets
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup toasted walnut or vegetable oil
- 1 pound spring mix
- 1 head romaine, separated into leaves, and sliced into 1 ½ inch wide strips
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 crisp tart apple, unpeeled, diced
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Wrap beets in foil, place on a baking sheet and bake 30 to 45 minutes or until crisp-tender. Cool; run under cold water to slip off skins. Dice, reserving 2 tablespoons for vinaigrette.
- To prepare vinaigrette, place raisins in a heatproof bowl; pour boiling vinegar over raisins. Let stand 30 minutes or until raisins are plump and liquid is cool. Transfer to food processor.
- Process until raisins form a dark paste. Add honey, 2 tablespoons diced beets, mustard and salt; continue processing. Gradually add oil. Transfer to a bottle or bowl. Refrigerate. Return to room temperature and shake or stir well before using.
- To prepare salad, combine greens, romaine and green onions in a large salad bowl. Toss well. Add walnuts, beets, blue cheese and apple to salad; drizzle one-third of the vinaigrette over salad and toss well. (Store remaining dressing in refrigerator for up to a month).
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: